Monday, June 15, 2009

I Can't Feel My Legs

June 14

Today I got to experience my first church service where English was not the main language spoken (Ed's note: that is not true. I have witnessed services in Creole and Spanish before). It was pretty cool because the songs and the Bible have English and Chinese right by each other so you can follow along. For the sermon, there is a woman who is fluent in both languages and translates for the English speakers into a microphone. The English speakers can use a headset to listen to the English translation. I felt like a part of the United Nations during the sermon.

After church, the four of us went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch. Seeing as I want to try as many different foods as possible, I went for the squid dish. The squid had an interesting consistency. It was kind of crunchy, but was seasoned great and I enjoyed it.

In the afternoon, a bunch of the teachers played Ultimate Frisbee and I got to join them. Apparently, not working out since the conclusion of soccer season has made me really out of shape. I'm sure the 30 degree increase in temperature and the constant humidity do not help, either. We played for a couple of hours and had a great time. The best part was when it rained for about 10 minutes which really cooled us off. In the end, it was exhausting.

In the evening we went to a movie. The nice thing about the theaters here is that they show American movies with Chinese subtitles. We saw The Hangover, which I thought was sub-par. But it was still a fun experience. Apparently, Transformers 2 comes out here earlier than in the States, so I hope to watch it before you loser Americans have the opportunity to see it. The other thing that is cool about the theaters is that you can take in any sort of food or drink into the theater as long as it doesn't smell. I didn't take advantage of that today, but I hope to bring in a beer next time I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment