Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How Many Abodiginals Do You See Modeling?

July 14

Today was yet another fun day. In the afternoon we took a trip to the Taiwan Aboriginal Park. There are something like 14 tribes native to the island, and each have many different rituals and cultures. We watched a performance of some of the cultures. The show was hit or miss as far as the individual scenes. My favorite part was actually the welcoming, where they played many different percussion instruments. I am a sucker for percussion acts.

After that we were able to explore some of the different areas in the park. One of the things that they did during the performance was use a rope swing. It was different from other swings because there are two ropes that come off the sides. The job of the person on the swing is just to sit, because two other people get on the sides of the swing and pull the person back and forth. We were able to go to an area that had one of the rope swings and I was able to go. It was really relaxing, but really taxing on the people that have to help you out. My time on the swing was probably about a minute long.

The highlight of the day was still the restaurant that we ate at afterwards. It served aboriginal food, which was alright, but that wasn't the best part. The best part was the spectacular view. We were well outside of the city of Kaohsiung, but off in the distance we were able to see some of the tall buildings. It was really cool because they have the Kaohsiung 85, which is 85 stories high. In the city it looks like a tall building, but from the distance it appears dwarf the other buildings. Closer to where we were, we were still in the middle of a mountain so the view closer was also great. As Jake was telling me, it would be a great place to throw a party and have a few drinks with friends with an amazing view.

I apologize for no pictures, especially since the whole post is about things that are best seen, but my camera batteries were depleted so I couldn't take any pictures. I will try to ask around to find some. If I am successful I will edit this post to include them.

No comments:

Post a Comment